Corren & Corren Legal Resources and News

Resources and information provided by the Stockton Attorneys of Corren & Corren, emphasizing Employment, Personal Injury, and Civil Litigation.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

2 minutes reading time (462 words)

Partition – Legal Options in Real Property Ownership Disputes

Partition – Legal Options in Real Property Ownership Disputes

Whenever real property is owned by two or more individuals (who are not married), the question sometimes presents itself: “I don’t want to own this property anymore, or I don’t want to own this property with a certain individual - What do I do?”

There are a few obvious simple options to try first. Initially, the easiest option is for the property owners to agree to market and sell the property to another individual and divide the proceeds. The property owners may also agree to a buyout, in which one of the owners would purchase another owner’s interest in the property. This option is particularly desirable if one owner wishes to keep the property and is financially able to affect a buyout. A third option is for an owner to sell and/or transfer their interest in the property to another individual. In reality, this option is very unlikely to succeed as individuals rarely are willing to purchase a partial interest in real property and enter into a co-ownership relationship with an unknown individual.

So what happens when none of these simple options work, and a co-owner is unwilling to cooperate? This is when the law of partition becomes relevant. In California, owners of real property have a right, as a matter of law, to partition of real property. Partition is a legal action to divide the interest of the real property owners “in kind” or “by sale.”

  • In kind division refers to a physical division of the property. If reasonably possible, Courts prefer to divide property in kind. In kind division will likely be employed if the parties own large tracts of land or multiple properties. If in kind division is ordered by the Court, a Court appointed referee will evaluate the property and determine how the property will be physically divided. If the property cannot be divided in an equal manner, the referee may order one party to compensate the other for said inequality.
  • By sale refers to a division of the property by means of a sale and division of the sale proceeds. By sale division is typically employed when the parties own a residential dwelling or other building that cannot be feasibly divided. If by sale division is ordered, a referee appointed by the Court will market and sell the property. The sale proceeds will then be divided amongst the owners in accordance with their proportional ownership share.

If you are considering a partition action or have been served with a partition lawsuit, it is in the parties’ best interest to immediately attempt to resolve the matter, as the expenses associated with partition are high.

If you have any questions about any of these issues or other property related questions, contact an attorney at Corren & Corren to discuss.

My Boss is a Jerk! But is it Illegal?
California’s New Minimum Wage Law – What You Shoul...


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Thursday, 04 June 2020

Latest Posts

05 May 2020
California employees have the ability to file claims with the California Labor Commissioner when they believe their employer has violated certain California Labor Code sections. Typically, such claim...
25 March 2020
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act) requires certain employers to provide their employees with expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19.[1] Th...
04 February 2020
Here are some of the most significant employment law updates in the last year. Minimum WageThe minimum wage for all California employees has increased. For employers with 26 or more employees, it has ...